Many employee-owned companies translate ESOP legal documents such as the Summary Plan Description (SPD) for their employees. However, the over-riding problem is that the “language of lawyers” is not fully understood, even when presented in a person’s native tongue. For example, translating “The ESOP trustee is a fiduciary” to the Spanish equivalent “El fideicomisario del ESOP es un fiduciario” doesn’t improve the effectiveness of the communication. Translating the message without a strategy results in a whole new set of communication problems. For this reason, Workplace Development Inc. tailors your ESOP communications to the specific goals and needs of your unique workforce.
“Workplace Development gave us tools to communicate exactly how employees affect stock value. Managing how people use their time and the way we treat our guests is critical to our success,” explains Robin Masten, President of SuiteAmerica. “The custom web-seminar Workplace Development created was the best explanation we’ve found on our ESOP.” SuiteAmerica, a provider of corporate housing services, connects with its managers through web-workshops. Workplace Development’s workshops educate managers on the plan’s benefits and how to utilize ESOP communication handouts in English and Spanish.
It is not just about language; it is about culture. The local community and traditions affect the way employees perceive the value of stock ownership. Within any workforce the idea of “stock ownership” varies greatly. When you add language and cultural diversity, it multiplies the confusion and knowledge gaps about the value of this tremendously important benefit.
Workplace Development specializes in customized communication services to fit the needs of your company. Below are a few of the ways Workplace Development helps ESOP firms “translate” ownership:
- Train-the-trainer tools designed for bi-lingual and emerging leaders inside your company.
- Practical coaching for leaders and employee communication committees to communicate effectively with non-English speakers.
- “Plain speak” handouts that answer key ESOP and business questions in employees’ native language(s). An important part of an ongoing communication plan.
- Educational sessions and presentations in Spanish. Workplace Development provides educational sessions such as annual statement presentations and roll out meetings in Spanish.
- Business learning experience. Teams of 5-10 participate in our custom business simulations in their native language in the same room as those who are speaking only English. Simulations provide hands-on, high impact learning for your employees.
- Native language presenter. When you need a high level of legal or technical accuracy presented in Spanish, we provide you with our native language specialist who has over thirteen years of experience making U.S. legal and business concepts relevant in Spanish.
Call 330-896-7285 or email email@example.com for more information about how we can help you translate ownership.